15 December 2006

Walking away from it all

(No, not me, silly, I wouldn't do that, now, would I?)

I'm talking about (one of my) all time hero(es) - Ronnie O'Sullivan. Last night he was playing Stephen Hendry for a place in the semi finals. And trailing 4-1, he suddenly decided he'd had enough and walked out. That is - he did shake hands with Hendry and the referee before leaving the building.

Now, he's done a few odd things in his time, but this still came as a surprise... (Photo from his autobiography, just before he walked out from the session, I guess...) Today he issued an apology to his fans, saying he had been so disappointed in his own play that he just couldn't bear it. So he walked.

Maybe I should start doing that too?

"No, you can't have an extra helping of pudding. And anyway, I'm tired of quarrelling, so I'm going. Out."
"No, you can't stay up late. It's school tomorrow. And anyway, I'm tired of quarrelling, so I'm going. Out."
"No, we're not going to Greece this summer. It's too expensive. And anyway, I'm tired of quarrelling, so I'm going. Out. For a bit of a cry about just that..."

And so on and so forth. While the kids may not learn a lot about handling emotions or aggression control, I'll get a lot of healthy exercise, right?

(I realise most of you won't have the foggiest as to who is Ronnie or Stephen or even Jan Verhaas, but I decided against a prolonged explanation and settled for links... I think that was very nice of me. Father Christmas ought to bring me lots of pressies...)

No comments: