29 July 2006

As is my wont...

I'm hurrying on to a lighter post...

This postcard arrived from Portugal the other day, from my friend DevilMood and the lovely Algarve coast. She tells me "Al-Garb" literally means "the West" - a detail of the kind I like! Thanks, my kids love the Swedish-coloured doors... And as noone else, myself included, writes snail mail anymore, postcards from bluddies are truly welcome!

Tomorrow we're off to Denmark, land of lots-of-things-surely-but-not-least-amusementparksandthelike. Jutland contains Legoland (the original), a lion park, a huge aquarium with sharks and stuff, fun fairs and amusement parks and waterworlds no end, and the whole of Jutland is surrounded by beaches. I wonder if the Danes think of it as a non stop summer holiday spot as much as Norwegians tend to?! (Anyone? Kimananda?) We'll be back in a week's time.

Can't wait to go. Not only because Denmark's a uniquely lovable country (somehow so unlike Norway, yet so close - and they love Norwegians!), but because Jakob is already there. Our 8 1/2-year old went there Wednesday with some friends and seems to be having a blast of a time, and says he doesn't miss us at all. Wonder if we'll have him back...

And my niece has arrived safely and happily in San Francisco, after her 3 day training & sightseeing in New York. All is well with the world. Well - part of it.. (See below.)

3 comments:

kimananda said...

Now, if you had mentioned England, then you would have mentioned everywhere I've ever lived (I'm from San Francisco, lived in Portugal, and now live of course in Denmark). I hardly know Jutland, but I have to say I don't think Copenhageners have such a fond opinion of the place. Though they might do.

They do love you Norwegians, though (perhaps because it adds contrast to how they feel about the Swedes?) I always thought the feeling was mutual...isn't it? Or do you just act nice to the Danes, and then laugh at them behind their backs? ;-)

Moncrief Speaks said...

That's interesting that Norway and Denmark are so different. I hadn't realized that, specifically. I'd be curious to know more.

Devil Mood said...

My postcard looks cute in your blog. I'm glad you liked it. I got yours too (both of them) and I really enjoyed them.
I hope you have a lovely time in Denmark, I so wish I was going :)