09 August 2006

Pirates of the Caribbean - dead man's chest

My hubby and I went to see this film the week before going to Denmark. (Being at the cabin with his parents means there are babysitters close at hand!) It wasn't as much fun as the first one, we thought, and I totally agree with Josh about the unavoidable second sequel (terquel?)...

Still, going to the cinema only once a year, as we tend to, it was great just seeing a film that was larger than life, what with the surround sound and all. And there's a lot to be said about Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp - or Keira Knightley, for hubby's sake! The film had a lot of moments that made me jump, even if it wasn't nightmare scary - even to me...
We were at the night show - starting at 10 pm and finishing at about half an hour past midnight. Age limit has been set to 11 in Norway, which means kids can come in at age 8 if they're together with grown-ups. Still - at that hour, even during summer holidays, we hadn't expected there to be so many kids!
There were two girls sitting behind us - I guess they were about 8. One of them seemed to be absorbed by her goody-bag, and fell asleep halfway through. (She had a funny hairdo at the end of it, I'll grant her that.) Her sister (?) was panically grasping her dad / uncle / neighbour throughout most of it, giving out little gasps every now and again.
Really - I thought it was good fun, if not an epic film. But for a kid that age? Now, I'd never take our 8-year-old to see this, he wouldn't catch a wink of sleep for about 3 weeks! Not necessarily because of the Kraken, and definitely not because of any fighting - but because of the messy mutant humanoids. And because he doesn't get to stay up that late...
Now - they weren't all that messy, or humanoids, even. As this very accurate test shows, there is also Will Turner (aka Yours Truly..)


Which Pirates of the Caribbean character are you?

(I'd already decided to do the test again had it told me I was anyone else, but then I didn't have to!)

6 comments:

x said...

i am captain barbossa!

i got your card from Legoland today!
you are so sweet, thank you!
i really want to go there.
xxx

Claire said...

Wish they had age limits like that here. I mean they do, but if you're with an adult, I think any age can go as long as it isn't NC-17, so you'll have people with their babies in tow...

Just D said...

grrr... I take my kids a lot of places and never think of it, but when I'm out with hub's the last thing I want is to be thinking of other peoples kids! I know what you mean.

author said...

I am, of course the fearless young beauty - But I bet I could easily be Jack Sparrow if I wanted, the questions where SO obvious...

Anyway he IS by far the coolest character and I'm looking foreward to the wrapping up of many loose ends in the second sequel ( - threequel?)

Merujo said...

I am Jack Sparrow, which doesn't surprise me this summer. After all, I'm doing my best pirate impression these days, eye patch and all! ;-)

BTW, I always wonder about parents who bring little kids to movies guaranteed to give them nightmares for months. You see it a lot here in the States, unfortunately. Here in the Washington, DC area, I see parents taking little kids to extremely violent movies, and it really disturbs me.

Violet said...

I wouldn't mind looking like Swann, but I'd rather be Sparrow.