15 October 2006

Back in business!

I've taken up singing again. Last Wednesday I met up with 7 other ladies, and the 8 of us will rehearse and fine-tune a handful of Christmas songs to be performed on December 17th. Can't remember exactly where, but I'll find out in time, I hope. The local cantor will provide accompaniment, and we'll have a conductor, even, for the last few rehearsals and the concert.

(This isn't us, but it could easily have been!)

We'll be doing some Norwegian traditional Christmas hymns - with untraditional arrangements - and a few English, possibly American. These aren't simple or easy songs, neither learning nor listening to, but I really enjoyed it, and hopefully, so will the audience...

I've been singing in choirs since I was about 6 (? mum?). Starting out in Sunday school (which happened to be Thursday school back home), then children's gospel choir, ten sing (not to be confused with Tenzing), and then various choirs including university choirs as an "adult" (using the term loosely, as I'm not sure I'm an adult still).. I stopped singing - in choirs, that is, when I was expecting the quads. The space they took up literally made me unable to take deep breaths, which is somehow rather useful when singing!

I love singing actively again. I love learning stuff that sounds impossible to begin with. I love being able to sing my part (contralto, in case you wondered..) regardless of the number of other voices and other parts being sung straight into my ear. I love the feeling when a number of voices sound like one.

These are a few of my favourite things...

2 comments:

Claire said...

Cool. Good for you. Maybe you could get someone to record a snippet of the concert for us.

Just D said...

AWEsome! That is sooooo cool! I am very impressed. Singing is not easy and it does not come to everyone (uh, I oughta know!) I love love love to sing, but I sound terrible, can't hold my own part and can never find the right key. Sigh. But cool for you!!!!